Monday night when we got home, I scrambled to set up our house for Ana so she could be comfortable. After stealing furniture from other rooms, grunting and pushing the armoire to the side to get to an outlet, and running an extension cord, we closed our eyes for a couple of hours.
We awoke around 3 AM to the cell phone alarm and Ana began the routine of pumping like she was feeding Naomi at home. We've kind of built up a routine where Ana takes care of the first part and I clean, bottle, and label when she is finished. Our only problem so far is that cell phone alarms have snooze buttons whereas Naomi does not.
We arose for the day around 9 AM after some much needed rest. Our morning routine consists of completing one task for the day, packing, and heading to Naomi's around lunch. (I also want to say thank you for the many offers to help. I haven't had a chance yet to even figure out what needs to be done and I haven't taken the time yet to respond to the many emails.)
When we got to Naomi's room, she was sleeping in her isolette (Ana informed me that she is not in an incubator, her medical terminology is far superior to mine).
We've started to notice all of her different facial expressions as we get to spend more time with her. One of them reminds me of her Uncle when he was little. For now I'll keep that Unlce's name secret. She sticks out her little lower lip and occasionally throws a little tiny mini tantrum. The doctor's tell me that's good, she's showing she's a fighter.
Naomi was still under her Drager 4000 catching a tan. Her bilirubin levels were lower so they removed the light blanket that was underneath her. It was a nice change and she looked much more comfortable.
The generosity at Children's has been amazing. A nice lady stopped by to give us a taggie for Naomi when she goes home. They were donated by a woman who also had a child in the NICU at one time. From the nurses at Naomi's bedside to the volunteers at the Ronald McDonald house, the halls are filled with compassionate and caring people.
Next, was the moment I had been waiting for all day. They call it kangaroo time for obvious reasons, but Ana decided to change it to bear cub time. I got to hold Naomi for the very first time! It was the sixth day since her birth and it had been really hard on me to not be able to hold her. She snuggled on my chest as I hummed a hackensaw boys tune. It was a moment I'll never forget.
After bear cub time, we helped the nurse with Naomi's cares. Ana took a temperature and changed a diaper.
We're getting faster at slipping the tiny diaper through all of the wires. After finishing all of her cares, we comfort her for a little while before covering her isolette. The doctor said she could have a break from the Drager 4000 since her bilirubin levels were much lower.
We gave Naomi's shades to the bison since she had out grown them.













Jeremiah and Ana, how moving to read through Naomi's first week and your bittersweet journey. I'll add the link to Salem's e-blast tonight. Our prayers surround you three. So good to be with you today. Pastor Jen
ReplyDelete