September 2, 2011

Favorite Things

Ok.  First blog post from the Mom.  I'll try not to mess it up since the Dad has been doing such a great job. 

Wow, what a week.  I can say that this past week will go down in the books as the longest and, let's say, most dynamic I've ever experienced.  While there have certainly been difficult moments, I'd like to highlight some of my favorite things about the week (yes, I will be using bullet points).
  • "It's a girl": In the midst of all the stress and uncertainty surrounding the birth, it was a moment I will never forget.  We got to hear a couple sweet little cries before she went into the next room, and someone in the room said "it's a girl".  I smiled and repeated it to Jeremiah, whose eyes I was locked on the whole time.  What a wonderful surprise.
  • Getting acquainted: Needless to say, the hardest thing has been the separation (not taking her home, having her in the isolette).  However, those moments of getting to know her have been all the more special.  From my first time visiting her room when I was still in a hospital bed, to the incredible experience of holding her for the first time, to finally being able to see her whole face when she switched off CPAP, I've fallen more deeply in love with her every day.
  • Progress: I realize that not all weeks will be this packed with milestones, and that sometimes steps forward are followed by steps back or sideways.  But I have been absolutely astounded by how much progress has been made in one week.  As much credit goes to the staff at Children's as it does to our feisty little girl.  From the ventilator to CPAP mask to nasal cannulae, from IV nutrition only to 6mL of milk every 3 hours, and coming off of the phototherapy lights...I'm amazed.  I have a feeling this little girl is going to continue to blow me away with her accomplishments for years to come.
  • Power of prayer: It is amazing to think about how many people have said they are praying for her.  The love and support reach farther than I could have imagined.  And I believe that all of those people really are praying for her, and I believe that it really is working.  We've also had a few visits from Pastor Jen, who pretty much has PhD in prayer, and I have been so touched by those moments of praying directly at her bedside, laying hands on her.  I'm learning how powerful it really is.
  • Being parents: Even though she spends her days in an isolette, we still get to change diapers, take her temperature, give here milk "on a stick", etc.  And we get to find out who the extra protective parents are.  Surprisingly, Jeremiah has emerged as the ultimate germaphobe (I thought it would have been me) and he insists that anyone in the room speaks in a whisper whenever "his baby girl is trying to sleep".
That's all for now; I look forward to more highlights in the weeks to come.  Thanks so much to everyone for their support and encouragement.     

3 comments:

  1. Well Cecilia is now obsessed with hearing the latest updates on "baby Naomi," as she calls her, who is "so cuuute." We are glad to hear that you are all doing well! Great post!


    Billy and Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Aunt Joyce says....September 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM

    Miah & Ana, I will try to post again. The first one didn't go thru. Thanks for the blog. We've really enjoyed hearing the process of little Naomi & Ana. The whole birth process and daily improvements have surely been one mircle after another. We have been praying for the three of you for continued strength and ongoing improvements. Love Ya, Jim and Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Ana. I'm incredibly thrilled for you two to experience parenthood. It melts my heart that you and Jeremiah are able to find words to express such beautiful moments, both big and small. Naomi is amazing and looks stronger and stronger everyday! I can't wait to meet WeeMenk!!! Love ya, Natalie, Dan, Kara and Zoey

    ReplyDelete