I knew Monday would be bittersweet from the start. The marker board in Ana's room now listed an anticipated discharge date and time (8/29 at 10 am). Ana awoke with the same headache as the day before and after a visit from her doctor, we found out she may have a spinal headache from her spinal block during the c-section.
The anesthesiologist stopped by and asked a lot of questions about the headache. It did indeed, seem to be a spinal headache, but it was very mild. He gave Ana a couple of options and Ana chose the drink coffee and water option. She gave up coffee during the pregnancy, so she was happy to have a cup in the morning. It seemed to help some so I started packing up our room. We didn't have a baby bag, so the packing went pretty quick.
After the nurses stopped by and gave us our drugs and paperwork for a breast pump, we went to get the car. Ana will be on blood pressure medicine for the next 4-6 weeks, pain medicine for the incision in her belly, and pumping since little Naomi is in an incubator. I didn't realize our life was going to be pump, eat, travel, pump, eat, travel. As a side note, I can now assemble a breast pump quicker than an Ikea table.
After re-parking the car, we made the trek over to Children's to visit Naomi.
She was still doing well and there were no major changes to report. We stuck around for care time and it was my turn to take her temperature and change her diaper. Little did I know, the nurse had given her a suppository earlier. I've changed diapers before, but the meconium was ultra sticky.
Ana on the other hand got to experience the highlight of the evening and I was so happy to be a witness. Ana got to hold Naomi for the very first time. After approximately five minutes of rearranging cords and tubes and getting Ana a kangaroo time gown, mom and daughter were reunited. I was in charge of tear wiping while Ana relaxed and bonded with her little girl. Naomi relaxed and snuggled in her mom's arms. It was wonderful after going five days without either of us getting a chance to hold her.
Finally, Naomi was due for her cares again and all too soon, she was back in her incubator. We gathered our things slowly and asked many questions before making the sad journey back to the car and back home. Naomi will most likely be in the hospital for 6 to 10 weeks. It will become our second home.







No comments:
Post a Comment