September 3, 2011

Friday chores

Friday was reset day. With the help of Grandma Menk, we cleaned the house, picked up the Subaru from the mechanic, and made some important phone calls. As the day progressed, I kept watching the clock knowing that I was missing cares at 12 PM and 3 PM. These are always my favorite time since we get to interact with Naomi. She dislikes the temperature readings, waist measurements, and diaper changes, but she loves milk on a stick and feedings. By Friday she was working 6 mL of milk through that little body.


The doctors were still monitoring Naomi's heart murmur, but it was within what they considered normal. Her belly button though, was not looking normal. Over the past couple of days it has been red and slightly infected. After the doctor stopped by, he asked that Naomi be kept on her back for a little while to give her belly button some air. It wasn't serious enough to warrant antibiotics, but it's still tough for a dad to see. This is a very common site for infection due to the early venous line and lack of a mature immune system.

As part of Naomi's belly button recuperation plan, she was switched to wee-pee's. To save my daughter from embarrassing photos, the bison was willing to model a wee-pee. They are a low cut bikini diaper.


In case you forgot, this was the previous diaper.


Even the bison looks more comfortable.

The afternoon ended with dad's turn for kangaroo time. I was so excited I asked the nurse if we could start a little early. She did well and slept the whole time. She had a couple of alarms due to a low saturation, but that was because dad wasn't holding Naomi's head straight enough. After a little help from the nurse, we took a family nap. I kept one eye open though, being the more protective parent.


We told ourselves that we would head home after 6 PM cares, so after a diaper change, a feeding, and a temperature check, mom comforted her daughter before heading home to get some food and rest. The temperature check was important because it indicated how well she was doing during kangaroo time. Between her and dad, we need to keep her body temperature between 36.5 and 37.5 degrees Celsius.


1 comment:

  1. It is awesome to read your blog, Naomi! Awesome like a burning bush or a bolt of lightning. Seeing that tiny, sweet face and your parents' joy is so wonderful. I'm glad you are sharing, Ana and Jeremiah, and I am thinking of you (3) daily.

    peace,
    Claire Kirchhoff

    ReplyDelete