It will be one month of home life this coming Friday. It really has been a wonderful change from the hospital, but that probably goes without saying. Naomi has settled into home life and we have settled into Naomi life. Most days are filled with eat, sleep, poop mixed in with a lot of grunt and squeal time. Sometimes I swear there is a baby dinosaur in Naomi's room, but every time I go to look, all I find is Naomi sleeping peacefully.
Naomi's eating style is very barracuda-ish. Mom handles the majority of meal times, but I still deliver two bottles. One in the wee hours of the morning and one while mom takes her late night nap. The bottle feedings start out looking like hand to hand combat, followed by a wide-eyed chug fest, followed by burp time. Based on Naomi's response, I think she is burping shrapnel. Once the torture of burp time is over though, Naomi tends to fall asleep in our arms.
Since gas, and possibly reflux, have been problems for her, we invested in some anti-flatulence drops. It has yet to be determined whether they will actually work, so I've thought about adding them to mom's coffee to see if I notice any reductions.
Naomi gave up her caffeine habit last week. If you recall, Naomi came home on caffeine to help her remember to breath. Daughter and dad would enjoy their morning coffee around 9 or 10 AM each day. I take mine black and Naomi takes hers white. Since she had no apnea or bradycardia spells for three weeks, she was taken off caffeine. She will wear a monitor for one more week to verify that she remembers to breathe and then... she'll be cord free!
Naomi is also starting to have awake times now. They tend to last three hours at a time and their occurrence is highly correlated with the times that mom and dad are most tired. Regardless, they are great. Sometimes we hang out in the sun room watching the birds at the bird feeder enjoying binkies and coffee, sometimes we work on tummy time, and sometimes we stare at ceiling fans. I try to tell her that grandpa put it up there and he hasn't had one fall down yet, but she still gives it the wary eye.
Naomi's sleepy time is filled with grunts and other noises. We were told before we left Children's that early birds tend to make a lot of noise through the night and at one point, one of the nurses told me that Naomi was one of the louder babies she had watched. So, mom and dad's sleep cycle seems to be listen to Naomi grunt for a couple of nights followed by a solid night of sleep due to exhaustion. We've tried various solutions without a lot of success. What seems to work one night fails to work the next, but as Naomi grows she is sleeping a little quieter each night.
On a last note, mom seems to have forgotten her physics lessons, or more importantly, she doesn't fully grasp baby physics. When observing a diaper change, do not stand at the end of the table. The consequence can be rather smelly. Of course, this may also be related to dad's poor diaper changing skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment