This Thursday, at 2:02 pm, Naomi will be two weeks old. While old wives tales have been invaluable for correctly determining the sex of our baby, it seems that Naomi wants to get a jump start on the the terrible twos. She's maintaining her feisty nature and has been called a little stinker by more than one nurse. They also think she is adorable, so all has been forgiven.
Tuesday, Ana arrived at Naomi's just after the 12 PM care. Naomi did well over night. She was digesting her milk well and had been bumped all the way up to 15 mL. Her belly button was still red, but the doctor thought the antibiotics were helping to shrink the area of the infection. Her heart murmur was still there, but as long as Naomi keeps digesting well, they will continue to monitor it without trying an intervention that would have some risks.
Tuesday evening, Ana and I went to our one and only baby class. We canceled a couple that were no longer applicable or not needed. The nurses, counselors, and social workers will help us with some of the things we need to learn, especially those related to very early birds. We figured we should attend at least one though. The class was enjoyable even though half of the items didn't apply to our baby. There was one item though that I disagreed with the instructor, it involved the definition of a small diaper. I should have brought a wee-pee.
Wednesday, Ana arrived at Children's early since we forgot to grab more plastic milk bottles on our way home Tuesday. We always feel guilty taking so many home, but the nurse that night filled a giant plastic bag for us to take home. Ana spent the day in and out of Naomi's room. She has been feeling better. Her belly is a little tender, but otherwise she hasn't had any problems. Her blood pressure has also decreased to a more reasonable 126/86.
Before I arrived Wednesday evening, Naomi had a lot of smiles to share with Mom. Her milk intake increased another 3 mL and she was approaching the point where they would ween her off of her IV fluids.
It was another good day for Naomi and I was happy to be spending the evening in her room even though baby classes are important.
Thursday, I worked from home in the morning and took the afternoon off to spend a little more time with our little girl. It was a big day for her, she was going to get her IV removed. Her feedings were going well enough and she was digesting 21 mL of milk. She was also finishing her antibiotics and her belly button was starting to look better.
She slept through most of the day while Ana and I completed various tasks in her room or the Ronald McDonald house. I arrived back a little before Ana and noticed that Naomi's IV pole was gone! Her little arm was covered in tape and an antibacterial cream to prevent infection after removing the IV.
While the nurse was finishing putting things away, I was waiting patiently to hold my daughter for the evening. It is one of the most special hours of my day.
It was hard to believe that Naomi was already two weeks old (31 weeks gestational age). It will still be another three weeks until she is allowed to try to breastfeed or take a bottle and another 5 to 9 weeks until she can come home. I am sure we have a lot more to go through, but our little girl has been a rock star. We have been very fortunate.







No comments:
Post a Comment