Day two started out as a rapid transition from groggy to coffee. After waking up from my super sleeper chair, I crawled over to Mapp's in the global midtown market for coffee. Ana was still feeling sluggish from the magnesium-sulfate and was ready for the world to stop spinning.
Grandma Menk stopped by in the morning. After visiting for a little while we stepped out to let Ana get some rest while I started the process of canceling all of our reservations. The flight cancellation took a little while as I tried to salvage a future ticket, but the remaining cancellations went quickly and everyone was very understanding. Once I was finished Grandma Menk and I returned to the global midtown market for lunch and cookies. We were hoping to go see Naomi, but she was busy being feisty.
We found out in the morning that her venous line in her belly button was not in far enough. An x-ray from that night showed that they would need to try to put a venous line somewhere else. She has the tiniest little belly button (even for 29 weeks), so they wanted to try to start an IV in her arm. Trying to put a new line into her belly button was not an option because the risk of infection was too high. Before they began, they wanted to make sure she was stable. Her breathing was a little fast so they waited until the afternoon to perform the procedure.
Meanwhile, I began to practice putting on neonate diapers. First was the buffalo, next was the polar bear.
Later that afternoon, the nurse practitioner was successful. They wanted to perform an x-ray before removing the belly button venous line. The x-ray showed that her new line was placed well. After the good news, I traveled the tunnel again to Children's hospital with Grandma and Grandpa Buhr. It took me a little while to notice, the nurse had put a little bow in Naomi's hair! We took some pictures and headed back to Ana's room.
Later that night, I traveled the tunnel again with Ana. The previous night she traveled in a bed, but today she rode in a wheel chair. I was so happy Ana was able to make it to Naomi's room and that she was able to sit upright. Ana loved the little bow and we listened to the nurse as she explained all of the different guidelines in the NICU. We were both very tired as we rolled back to Abbott. A few tears were shed along the way. Before we headed back to Abbott though, we left Naomi's guardian javelina who also happens to have a pink tutu.
Congrats Ana and Miah. Thank you for sharing your wonderful words and pics of the birth of Naomi. Well wishes to mom, child and daddy! You'll make great parents and by the way that is without doubt the best diapered buffalo I've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. Naomi is in a wonderful NICU. My oldest son was there over 23 years ago. They were wonderful way back then and have gotten even better over the years.
ReplyDeletePraying for you all. She is beautiful. Thanks for the updates. Congratulations to you. Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking time to share you're words and photos with all of us! "Momma Jody" and I are keeping you all in our prayers. Naomi has her own special little bubble from me with lots of love and healing energy.
ReplyDeleteLove you all!!!
Sheri and Jody
Thanks for sharing this amazing journey and for the beautiful photos of your little daughter who - while small - looks very sturdy. I'm crying and smiling at the same time with you,
ReplyDeletePrayers for strength and grace,
Cindy Davey